Friday, May 6, 2022

The First Few Days



The first few days at sea have been nothing short of humbling. Crossing the channels of the Hawaiian Islands, our ship battled winds that muffled our ears and wave that tossed us about our beds. Saltines and ginger chews were a staple on deck, and watching our (delicious) soup slosh back and forth on gimbaled tables was, to say the least, a challenge. I'm in awe of the mariners who sail these seas today, as well as those who did so hundreds of years before me.


Today was the first day I began to feel a bit more like myself. Now entirely off the seasickness pills, my head is clearer than ever. I'm so grateful for my watch (B Watch Best Watch!), who navigated these waters with me. It's wild to see how much I've learned and how much autonomy I've gained in mere days- among these, my comfort easing the sheets, my ability to man the helm, and most importantly, my proficiency with ship speak (aye!).

Yet despite the difficulties with finding a routine, I have to admit that few things rival the beautiful moments I've had: watching spinner dolphins leap into the air, admiring rosy sunsets over golden waters, and singing with my watch group under star-loaded skies. It's funny how such moments have also changed my relationship to the natural world-from the stars that now serve more as navigation points than beautiful anomalies, to the ocean which is not just a place to play, but also an entity to be respected, if not a little feared. 


Looking forth, I can't wait for the things to come. I'm incredibly grateful for the people that made this all happen- among them, my parents who supported every endeavor (Hi Mom and Dad!) and the faculty who admitted me to this program in the first place. So many hands had to work to make this program happen, and I recognize how I would not be here without them and their labor.

Also rather tangentially, I'm happy to report that my Teva tan lines are strengthening. They're somewhat of a novelty on this ship, and I'm intrigued how intense they might get. Only time will tell.

Until then, goodbye all!

Kelly Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment